Regional consultations underway to address new tariffs imposed by US
CASTRIES, St Lucia (CMC) — The government of St Lucia says talks are now being held with public and private sector stakeholders to develop appropriate strategies and responses to the new tariffs announced on Wednesday by United States (US) President Donald Trump.
In a statement on Thursday, the government said while it has not yet received an official communiqué through the usual diplomatic and formal channels regarding changes to the US trade regime, “We are nonetheless aware that on Wednesday, April 2, 2025, referred to as ‘Liberation Day’ by the US President, the US Government announced significant reforms to its trade policies. These include the introduction of ‘reciprocal tariffs’ on all countries worldwide, impacting the importation of goods.”
Under this new regime, all goods imported into the United States from St Lucia and other beneficiary countries under the Caribbean Basin Initiative (CBI), which previously granted duty-free access to most products, will now be subject to a 10 per cent tariff.
The Government of St Lucia, through its specially established task force to “monitor and evaluate the effects of changes in US trade policies”, which includes representatives from the private sector and trading community, held a pre-planned meeting on Thursday.
The discussion focused on the implications of the newly imposed US tariffs on imports, other policy changes including shipping rates and potential opportunities arising from the new trade regime.
According to the chair of the task force, Emma Hippolyte, who is also the minister of commerce, the Government is actively participating in regional consultations with public and private sector stakeholders to develop appropriate strategies and responses to the new US market access arrangements.
She added that the trading community and the wider public are urged to take note of these changes, which take effect on April 9, and said the task force’s public relations team will continue to provide updates as the situation evolves.
“We appreciate your understanding and support as we navigate these challenges together, both as a nation and as a region, in response to the shifting trade landscape,” Hippolyte said.